Although most people are familiar with the pop culture version of narcissism—in which a person believes the world revolves around them, and should be treated accordingly—it’s much more subtle than that. in fact, there are different types of narcissism, contains the variant known as the “hidden ego”. Here’s what to know about it and how to recognize the signs.
What is Covert Narcissism?
Unlike overt narcissism, covert narcissism—also known as “vulnerable narcissism”—is harder to identify. it’s because the secret narcissists internalize their feelings of self-importance and their attention required.
“Covert narcissists are people who fly under the radar,” says Susan Albers, PsyDwith a psychologist Cleveland Clinic, “Even if you’ve been in a relationship with someone for years, their secret promiscuity can be so subtle that you’re not even aware of it for a very long time.”
Here are some signs that you have a covert narcissist in your life.
symptoms of secret narcissism
Bear in mind that unless you are a qualified practicing psychologist or psychiatrist, you are in no position to diagnose yourself or anyone else with narcissistic personality disorder (or anything else)., Having said that, here are some common characteristics among covert narcissists, according to Albers,
- Lack of empathy.
- much needed praise.
- No Confidence He has done something wrong.
- It seems like no one understands them.
- asSense of authority
- Surrounding yourself with superficial relationships.
- Taking advantage of others for personal gain.
- being resistant to change.
- Over-focus on fantasies of grandeur.
how to cope with a covert narcissist
If it appears that someone in your life may be a secret narcissist, and you find their behavior challenging at times, here are some Strategy to counter Albers,
- Establish healthy boundaries with them.
- If you’re getting emotionally sucked in, take a step back.
- Speak up and stand up for yourself.
- work with a therapist To learn new tools for dealing with the person.
And if you suspect you might be a secret narcissist yourself, maybe it’s time to talk to a mental health professional.,